The spatial mapping & visual positioning system
Welcome to the documentation for the Immersal SDK.
Here you'll find general information about the SDK, detailed documentation about the APIs for different platforms, and tutorials for our sample projects.
In a nutshell, the Immersal SDK is a spatial mapping & visual positioning system. It allows you to merge digital content with the physical world by enabling devices to precisely locate themselves in the physical world. You could think of it as an ultra accurate GPS with full six degrees of freedom (6DoF) support and realtime updates. Not only does the device know its position in the world, but also the exact orientation.
The solution is completely markerless so you don't need to print out QR codes or anything similar. It uses the environment itself as a "marker".
You can create Augmented Reality (AR) experiences and tools that are tied to real, physical locations. These next-generation AR applications allow users to interact with their environment and do things never possible before.
The Immersal solution consists of 3 parts:
- Mapping real-world locations. The maps are constructed and hosted on Immersal's Cloud Service and can be captured using a ready-made Immersal Mapper app for iOS and Android
- Building applications that use these maps with the Immersal SDK
- Localizing (finding the position and orientation in the map) end-user devices to show the persistent digital AR content to the end-user
Immersal SDK brings immersive AR experiences and tools to large spaces. The applications are limitless and range from AR games to ad campaigns, indoor navigation, and maintenance tools for industries — your imagination is the limit.
To get an idea of some of the possibilities, please watch a video of some of our early concept tests.
The following case study demonstrates the pipeline from capturing to editing content in a commercial application.
- Fast visual positioning with low system overhead.
- Works both offline on-device and online in the cloud.
- Android and iOS compatible.
- REST API for SDK use with any device.
- Capable of mapping large spaces, both indoor and outside.
- Point clouds and detailed meshes of the mapped spaces available.
- Supports multiple maps in the same space.
- Easy-to-use Unity samples with templates for indoor navigation and more.
- Detailed documentation to help developers get started.
- Automatically combine multiple maps together with map stitching.
- Continue updating older maps by restoring the map source data.
- NEW IN 1.3: Full GPS support for map tagging and searching, Visual GPS for getting global WGS84 coordinates in any mapped area using just the device camera.
Technology showcase for city-scale AR